Welcome to our 45th Anniversary Story Gallery

Below are entries in the Share it! Story competition.

We've even published memories and stories from our 40th anniversary Web site just to kick things off!

Check back to see more stories from the Metro State community!

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Joe Megeath, Professor Emeritus

Memory: The Magnetism of Metro

During a summer lunch break in 1969, I trekked down to Metropolitan State College and found Dr. Irvine Forkner, Business Division Chair. The balding, mustachioed man behind the desk had eyes which carried the sparkle of enthusiastic curiosity about the world. After the obligatory pleasantries I summarized my educational degrees and business background with Ford and Gates and explained my interest in teaching a part time class at night.

That was the last time the term ‘part time’ was ever used in that hour-long conversation. He concluded by offering me a full time position and I knew I would accept the offer.

The next day when I dialed Forkner's office. I was told , “Dr. Forkner left yesterday afternoon. He will be back in six weeks.”

On a mere whim I had stumbled into this hard-to-find, stranger's office without an appointment and been offered a life changing job. A feeling of serendipity overwhelmed me.

Metropolitan State College was the love of my working career. I classify myself as a Metroholic.

Joe D. Megeath
Professor Emeritus