Welcome to our 45th Anniversary Story Gallery

Below are entries in the Share it! Story competition.

We've even published memories and stories from our 40th anniversary Web site just to kick things off!

Check back to see more stories from the Metro State community!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Roy Wilson - Math & Computer Science ‘76 (40th Anniversary submission)

It is the summer of 1969. Having dropped out of high school for the final time, I have entered the only open-enrollment institution around, Metro. Walking toward the Cherokee Building, located near Speer, I see a building that looks like it is used for industrial purposes. After entering, I think “Is Metro a fly-by-night operation?” If memory serves, there were classes on one side of the building and what looked like heavy industry of sorts on the other.

I took an English class taught by Charles Bursiel and was a bit nervous. The next semester, I took Freshman Composition from Joy Yunker (recently deceased), who advised me that I should narrow the scope of my proposed paper topic, saying “Leave that for your dissertation”. Over thity-five years later, I completed a dissertation and now have a Ph.D. I (and others) owe the early educators at Metro a debt of gratitude for their commitment, knowledge, and skill.

(reprinted from the 40th Anniversary Our Stories Web site)