Welcome to our 45th Anniversary Story Gallery

Below are entries in the Share it! Story competition.

We've even published memories and stories from our 40th anniversary Web site just to kick things off!

Check back to see more stories from the Metro State community!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Steve Ruddick, History ‘77 (40th Anniversary submission)

I was recruited out of high school to attend Metro State in 1977 by the two person recruiting team of Political Science Professors Weston and Conner who simply got in their car and drove to the local high schools.

As one of the few traditional students on campus, I could not hang out at the informal student union with the faculty and other classmates, the White Mule Bar, until my senior year. Instead, I had to settle for the Burger Chef and Jeff next door.

We were required to attend a physical education class for a liberal arts degree and the basketball team didn’t have a home court, they practiced at the old downtown YMCA.

I found in the course syllbus, Bowling 101, which promised a real beer after every class. What I discovered was that since I was the only non-bowler in the class, I really needed that beer before I bowled, not after.

Metro State was a serious eduational facility with determined, mature students, but there was fun to be had, in the most unusual places